Which Combat System?

Watched videos or played the demo and have feedback for us? Post it here

Which Combat System?

Real-Time
57%
Turn-Based (Abilities and Targets, not grid movement - think FF or Wizardry)
36%
I don't care
6%

Total votes: 47

Thirith

Re: Which Combat System?

Post by Thirith »

I’d be okay with grid-based TBC, but the FF/Wizardry style does very little for me. It always feels very static to me, added to which I never enjoyed it in those games. To be honest, though, combat tends to be what I like least in RPGs.

kibasnowpaw

Post by kibasnowpaw »

as I said on the Kickstarter page "Personally I hate Turn-based Games to many games are Turn-based Nowadays, I love an open world free movement and fighting style game." It gives you more freedom to attack, from where and how, and if you just want to run away or stay fighting. also, I don't feel like a Turn-based would fit into this kind of game the way it sat up.
Check out my Homepage for more Details.
https://www.thedanishfurrygamer.com/

Sir Cabirus

Post by Sir Cabirus »

TB combat or RT combat? I don't care, I'm open to both. But with Corven, the focus is on the story being told. Plus, of course, the discovery of the country. If I draw conclusions from my experiences with the demo, I mean how easy the fight is, TB combat could be like shooting mosquitoes with cannonballs ;-) And I also believe that RT combat causes a smaller interruption in the flow of play than TB combat.

Techwizz

Post by Techwizz »

Hey, I voted for real time, although I think it could be cool to have an option in game to switch between them. Yes, I know that would be a lot of work, so I don't expect it, although it would be very cool.

Decimus Observet

Post by Decimus Observet »

I have a preference for turn-based combat but real-time done well is fine by me.

Farrier

Post by Farrier »

I voted "don't care", since I don't mind either way, so long as the combat is in the location that you encounter the mobs.

Ultima-style turn-based would be fine, real-time is fine.

But a JRPG Final Fantasy-style "everyone goes off to a separate arena and takes turns whacking each other, while otherwise standing in a fixed position" style of turn-based play would be a very strong "nope" from me.

Until the demo has a party in it, though, I don't think we can really vote on this sensibly. We can't know how hard it will be to control six people in real time, until it happens.

JadawinKF

Post by JadawinKF »

I'm a backer (Incredible legend) and I would love to have turn-based combat. I play games to relax and turn-based gives me time to think, where as real-time creates pressure to press the right buttons at the right time.

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

JadawinKF wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:53 am
I'm a backer (Incredible legend) and I would love to have turn-based combat. I play games to relax and turn-based gives me time to think, where as real-time creates pressure to press the right buttons at the right time.
Did you play the demo?

The goal of Corven's combat is not to stress you out and the combat is not the main focus of the game.

The Avatar HS

Post by The Avatar HS »

Is there any conclusion to this poll? ;)

What if the player can CHOOSE between RT and TB any time they want, like in Pathfinder - Kingmaker for example? Wouldn't that be a fair solution?

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

We are a very small team and need to concentrate on one way or another. In order not to steer Corven into development hell with feature creep I never want to over-promise just because something would be great to have, when it is not reasonable for us to develop. I owe all our backers that much.

Corven will have the RT system like shown in the demo. Thank you all for participating in the poll!