Which Combat System?

Watched videos or played the demo and have feedback for us? Post it here

Which Combat System?

Real-Time
57%
Turn-Based (Abilities and Targets, not grid movement - think FF or Wizardry)
36%
I don't care
6%

Total votes: 47

Arianrod

Re: Which Combat System?

Post by Arianrod »

Turn based, please. I just don’t have the hand/eye coordination for real time.

Just4thePoll

Post by Just4thePoll »

I repeat the sentiments of some other posters when I say I vote for turn-based combat for nostalgia's sake, though real-time combat is fine with me as well. My main interest is in the story and character-development anyway. Thanks for asking.

sduensin

Post by sduensin »

I'm only saying "real-time" because you said the turn-based would be Final Fantasy style. This isn't a JRPG! Ultima-style, or just leave it as is. Final Fantasy combat would make me a very sad adventurer.

Sunkingcds

Post by Sunkingcds »

I'd prefer a turn base combat similar to the old Ultima games. Ultima Exodus, that sort. Not a fan of real time, think it detracts from a good amount of nostalgia for me. As a backer, if it's real time I'll be pretty disappointed.

Namtih

Post by Namtih »

I voted for Real time (Backer here). Playing thru Skyrim again it just feels better, UO was like that...

I understand with parties some people like more control, but I prefer less tedious combat and a focus on story and exploration.

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

foboman wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:24 pm
Backer here.

For once I would like turn based. I'm not thinking of Final Fantasy, but Wizardry here. Even Ultima III and IV were kinda turn based, so I would like to see that.
Hi! Wizardry works exactly the same way Final Fantasy does. You give orders who uses which ability on what. :) The differences between the games are the art style and point of view, not the combat system at its core.

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

sduensin wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm
I'm only saying "real-time" because you said the turn-based would be Final Fantasy style. This isn't a JRPG! Ultima-style, or just leave it as is. Final Fantasy combat would make me a very sad adventurer.
Corven won't suddenly have anime characters and random encounters, no worries. :) If it makes you feel better, don't think Final Fantasy but Wizardry. Same thing. You choose which party member uses which ability on which enemy or ally.

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

Arianrod wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:05 pm
Turn based, please. I just don’t have the hand/eye coordination for real time.
Did you try the demo? If not I encourage you to do so. It might surprise you. The combat in Corven is not designed to kill you in seconds if you move wrong. It's designed with the thought in mind that players who want to enjoy the story, puzzles and world don't want to be held back by combat. It's more about how fast you can kill your enemies, not IF you can kill them. It's designed to make you feel good about your Avatar. Even if you are a slow clicker you will not be easily overwhelmed by enemies in Corven. Does that make sense?

Aerenthal

Post by Aerenthal »

My initial instinct is to go for the turn based because I can find RT combat overwhelming when controlling a whole party. Taking the time to think about it turn based could become a real slog if your issuing the same commands nearly every round. As deep-tactical combat is not intended to be the focus I suspect that slog would become quite real and detract from the game flow. So Real-Time gets my vote, but I really hope it includes the ability to pause and issue new orders to each party member.

Corv
Site Admin

Post by Corv »

Aerenthal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:26 am
My initial instinct is to go for the turn based because I can find RT combat overwhelming when controlling a whole party. Taking the time to think about it turn based could become a real slog if your issuing the same commands nearly every round. As deep-tactical combat is not intended to be the focus I suspect that slog would become quite real and detract from the game flow. So Real-Time gets my vote, but I really hope it includes the ability to pause and issue new orders to each party member.
I should have clarified, sorry: In Real Time the party members will act on their own - they are AI controlled. You can concentrate on controlling your character. Think Ultima 7, but less chaotic and better AI.