Which Combat System?

Watched videos or played the demo and have feedback for us? Post it here

Which Combat System?

Real-Time
57%
Turn-Based (Abilities and Targets, not grid movement - think FF or Wizardry)
36%
I don't care
6%

Total votes: 47

Corv
Site Admin

Which Combat System?

Post by Corv »

In the early stages of development we got some feedback from our few followers that they would rather have real time combat. Now we get more and more feedback that turn based would be preferred.
This is your chance, which combat style should we go with?

1.) Real time combat, like you see in the demo
or
2.) Turn based combat in which you give each of you party members commands which attack or ability they should use on which enemy or ally.

What we will not do is real time with pause to give commands and grid based combat in which you also move the players around since this would not fit Corven and the role combat plays in Corven. If it's tun based then in a way that you give your party members commands what abilities to use, but not moving them strategically on a grid.

We love both types of combat and are sure we can integrate either one in Corven. It's up to you!

Scribble.mmo

Re: Which Combat System?

Post by Scribble.mmo »

1 for real-time! Thanks for asking!

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

+1 for turn-based! Thanks for giving us the choice! Loved combat in Ultima 6 and earlier. It never made sense why they changed it after that...it was just not as fun and impossible to control.

The Avatar HS

Post by The Avatar HS »

Real-time, like in Ultima VII BG + SI....of course ;)

yol

Post by yol »

Folks, have you considered Baldur's Gate type combat, which is a mix between real-time and turn-based? You can pause the combat and change the next actions for your party. I think this is a good trade off, it can be configured to full turn-based by pausing automatically, left hybrid with space bar to pause anytime, or full real-time with no pause.

dancingcrab

Post by dancingcrab »

I appreciate the devs asking. I also appreciate combat not being a focus, and feel real-time combat might be the simplest to implement. Combat is not a strength of most Ultima games -- Diablo-like clicking is a proven and simple method of managing combat encounters without over-complication. An Ultima-like should not, IMO, try for deep tactical combat. Let D:OS and BG3 do that!

Baer

Post by Baer »

I voted for turn based but mainly out of nostalgia :lol: . I will be ok with either.

DrunkenGymkata

Post by DrunkenGymkata »

As one of the original posters on the Kickstarter I thought I should clarify. We TOTALLY want real time combat. The question was could we pause and make changes ie the original Dragon Age. Luckily it looks like the voting also mirrors this.

foboman

Post by foboman »

Backer here.

For once I would like turn based. I'm not thinking of Final Fantasy, but Wizardry here. Even Ultima III and IV were kinda turn based, so I would like to see that.

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Hey there,

just voted for Real Time.

As much as I enjoyed the turn based combat in the Age of Enlightenment-Ultimas, they still somehow "interrupted" the gameplay, specially when you were evolving the story... If you now what i want to say... :)
I more a "story driven" player, so I appreciate the idea, not to focus to much on the combat...

Just my 5 cents...

But as I'm a ranger, following the Path of Spirituality - like Buddy Buddha - I will be happy with whatever comes :lol:

Cheers,
Jethro